Thursday, May 9, 2013

I Love My Students (Part 2)

Once again, I love my students.  We're covering Bohr's model of the atom this week.

"The Bohr model: Sure, it's wrong and will give our students 
conceptual difficulties later on, but let's teach it anyway!" 
said every physics and chemistry teacher ever.

After class, one of my students sent me this:


There seems to be a strange periodicity associated with searches for the Bohr atom. I suspect most classes teach it at the same time every year, generally October or February.  Why am I teaching it in May?  I guess I'm just different.

Aaron Santos is a physicist and author of the books How Many Licks? Or How to Estimate Damn Near Anything and Ballparking: Practical Math for Impractical Sports Questions. Follow him on Twitter at @aarontsantos.


No comments:

Post a Comment